Details for "Watercolour Landscape Painting - David McEown by Zoom"
David McEown – Watercolour Landscape Painting on Zoom
Wednesdays February 3, 10, 17 and 24 from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Canadian artist David McEown has used the medium of watercolour for the past 30 years to explore and express many of this earth’s wilderness areas. His paintings from Antarctica to the North Pole are represented in collections worldwide. David is a Fellow of the Royal Canadian Geographical Society, a graduate of the Ontario College of Art and Design and an elected member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour, which in 2005 and 2018 awarded him the society’s prestigious A.J. Casson Medal. He is also a sought after teacher and has conducted workshops and multimedia presentations for numerous art societies and museums sharing his reverence for nature and passion for the creative act of painting.
Inspired by landscape themes of Canada's west coast this live online workshop will explore essential watercolour techniques and colour perception exercises that will prepare participants with the ability to paint directly from nature. Also, we will learn to interpret and transcend sketches and photo reference into studio paintings with this spontaneous and flowing travel friendly medium!
- Live entertaining split screen demonstrations. Video treats of painting locations from around the world.
- An edited recap video to refer to after each session accessible by password for a month on David's Vimeo channel.
- Particiapnts can upload their work for highlighted critique sessions throughout the series. Also informal critique and walk around the virtual 'room' for participant to share their work.
- Introductions, the studio and tools. Warm up of Essential Techniques wet into wet, control the bead, gravity, value and colour exercises. Landscape studies, using all the toys and tools! 2 small or quarter sheets for this. Then a demo, larger painting of wet in wet Mountains Landscapes). No reference material required as we will work from imagination. A video link, recapping these essential will be provided after the session.
- Mountain Wildflowers, Full sheet (22 x30), step by step sustained demo. Atmosphere, Hard and Soft edges and Illusion of space. Underpainting, then working from the middle ground to back ground, mark making, negative shape reading.
- What the photo does not see and creative license!
- Hierarchy of focal point and using composition to tell the story.
(reference will be provided a week before, but artists may certainly use their own.)
Glacial Lake reflections. (from the Rockies!), water ripples, blues, reflections. s and illusion of depth. Hierarchy of focal point and using composition to tell the story.
- Demo will be a full sheet or 22 x 30 inches. (reference will be provided a week before, but artists may certainly use their own.)
- Sunset, Ocean shoreline. Demo will be a ½ sheet or 15 x 22 inches (reference will be provided a week before, but artists may certainly use their own.)
Cost & Status
- CAN$208.25 with Member Workshop 15% Discount