Details for "Fundamentals of Portraiture in Oils or Acrylics - Lalita Hamill"
This workshop will be a step-by-step approach to completing the portrait of a subject of your choosing, including pets, and Lalita will provide photos for those who need a reference. For each section, Lalita will demo, followed by participants applying what they have learned to their own work and receiving feedback.
Fri, Sept 16th 2:30pm – 5:30pm
Sat, Sept 24th 9:30am – 4pm
Sun, Sept 25th 9:30am – 4pm
Friday: How to choose appropriate reference material, tonal maps, how to transfer a tonal map onto canvas, blocking in an underpainting.
Homework: those who decide to change their image will have one week to prep for the Sat morning. Exercises will be provided in order for participants to practice painting facial body parts and hair prior to the remaining weekend.
Saturday: Portrait colour selection and mixing, palette management, blocking in large shapes, comparative measurements for accuracy, layering, and softening edges.
Sunday: Colour coherence, backgrounds, brushwork to get the look and feel you want, and ‘finishing’
- Oil or acrylic supplies you already own, including paint, brushes (bring all to Fri), palette (1 large or 2 small), paper towel, camera (phone is fine), reference image printed in greyscale (2 copies) and colour (1 copy, which can be on a tablet).
- Canvases – one 9” x 12” and for those who tend to paint larger and faster, one 16” x 20”
- Acrylic painters: Golden acrylic glazing liquid (gloss, satin or matte) – small bottle will do
- Oil painters – odourless mineral spirits (Lalita uses Gamsol) and oil (Lalita uses compressed linseed)
- If you will be using canvas that has been primed with acrylic gesso (which most have been), it is highly recommended that you apply two more coats of gesso prior to day 1.
- Lalita will be using the following colours (you can do a portrait with the colours you have as long as you have 2 yellows, 2 blues, 2 reds, an umber, and black and white).
- Titanium white, ivory black, naples yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red light, burnt sienna, red umber, raw umber, asphultum, & cereulean blue.
Lalita Hamill Short Biography:
Lalita specializes in oil and acrylic, especially of portraits & figures. She attended the Vancouver Academy of Art for four years, is a Signature member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, and an Associate Member of Oil Painters of America. With over 30 years teaching experience, including running her own atelier for six years, Lalita is a skilled and sought-after instructor and juror. Lalita designed the Foundations Program for the Federation of Canadian Artists. Visit www.lalitahamill.com
Example of student work - first stages of underpainting, colour blocking and colour blending
Cost & Status
- CAN$247.50 with Member Workshop 10% Discount